Group 21: Competitiveness of Genetically Modified Mosquitoes

Citations

Andrew Pike, Yuemei Dong, Nahid Borhani Dizaji, Anthony Gacita, Emmanuel F. Mongodin,George Dimopoulos. 2017. Changes In Microbiota Caused Genetically Modified Anopheles to Spread In Population. Science 357(6358): 1396-1399. doi: 10.1126/science.aak9691

Minard, Guillaume, Patrick Mavingui, and Claire Valiente Moro. 2013. Diversity and function of bacterial microbiota in the mosquito holobiont. Parasites & Vectors 6: 146. doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-6-146

Fenton Hall, Anthony S. Fauci. 2009. Malaria Control, Elimination, and Eradication: The Role of the Evolving Biomedical Research Agenda. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 200 (11):1639–1643. doi: 10.1086/646611

4.3(85.88%) 51 votes
This entry was posted in GM mosquito competitiveness. Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Group 21: Competitiveness of Genetically Modified Mosquitoes

1. Luis says:

Citations

2. Hayden says:

Funny video, I liked that you guys used Buzz. Also, you did a great job of explaining how natural selection and malaria are linked. I thought it was interesting that scientists were modifying the genes of mosquitoes in an attempt to stop malaria.

3. Ellen says:

I liked the inclusion of buzz. Your video was very entertaining. You made the connections to class clear.

4. Camalie says:

It was interesting that scientists have found a way to genetically modify mosquitoes so that they have stronger immune systems and don’t end up carrying malaria. I found the video creative.

5. Will says:

good content, although I would have preferred to see more visuals describing what buzz was saying.

6. Madison says:

Good video! It was entertaining and informative.

7. Amanda says:

Good job! You guys did well connecting the concepts back to what we learned in class

8. Dorothea says:

You did a good job of making the concepts clear to the audience by having the set up of the video as a Q and A

9. Soham says:

The video was very engaging in your Q and A part, I really felt that was quite creative. The concepts were well understood. Good Job.

10. Sean says:

interactive, would make for a good children’s show… if they cared about the Competitiveness of Genetically Modified Mosquitoes

11. Anthony says:

Super creative with the use of buzz. I feel that asking the question you guys asked points viewers in the perfect direction of thought

12. Sara says:

I liked how you used buzz and other comedic elements to make the topic more interesting without compromising the informational content

13. James says:

The video was engaging, it was easy to follow along with the information.

14. Vivi says:

Adding Buzz was very creative and the graphs were helpful in showing the results of the study. Good video

15. Kaitlyn says:

I really liked the format you guys decided to take. It was very creative and interesting to watch. The only improvement would have been to slow down the presentation a bit. I think that would have made it easier to understand.

16. Yifan says:

Buzz makes this video.

17. Cristina says:

Your graphs were really well-designed and easy to understand because they were computerized representations instead of drawn. I liked the addition of Buzz and making it more so a story than a presentation. It may have been helpful to the audience to add annotations on the sides of Buzz in regard to what he was discussing – perhaps just variables or numbers for whatever he was explaining.

18. Rahulkrishna says:

The video was really engaging and I loved how you used Buzz to explain the concepts.

19. Madison says:

The intro was pretty cool! The information in the paper was explained clearly, and definitions/new terminology was easy to follow. The visuals in addition to live action made it really engaging.

20. Riley says:

The video does a great job at relating topics from all of the modules. The only thing I didn’t like was when buzz talks about Darwin, there’s a super high pitch sound in the background.

21. Maxwell says:

It was a great idea to include buzz in this video! It made it entertaining but informative at the same time

22. Lily says:

Buzz made the video entertaining, but the video could use some more visuals while Buzz is talking.

23. Christopher says:

I saw buzz and my attention was immediately on the video and stayed on the video. Great presentation and really liked the use of buzz, it was both effective and entertaining.

24. Ayesha says:

This video is very entertaining and well made. However, I wish there were more statistical or graph like figures explaining the results of the experiment and visuals for the methods of the experiment to make it more clear.

25. Andrea says:

This video was hilarious and extremely creative yet informative, great job!

26. Juhee says:

The video was very entertaining, although the voiceover was hard to understand due to its speed.

27. Erin says:

I enjoyed the interactive aspect of using buzz, however, some of the concepts were challenging to understand without visuals. Good use of class info.

28. Claire says:

I thought the use of Buzz with the voice-over was very clever and helped in explanation, but more visuals could have been used to clarify. Captions could have been really helpful too, because the voice-over was hard to hear at times. I think this is a more challenging topic to represent.

29. Tarab says:

Using buzz was such a good idea since I have yet to see another video where this was used and it was so funny yet still presented the info well.

30. Samantha says:

I really enjoyed how the group incorporated Buzz to narrate the findings of the research paper.

31. Ashmita says:

The use of Buzz helps the presentation of the information. It provides information in a creative manner!

32. Joshua says:

Very unique & interesting presentation style! I for one approve of this application of genetic modification.

33. Darrell says:

Your video was really creative. Your method of presenting the information was really entertaining, and I thought you did a good job of tying in information from class. It was a little unclear what Buzz was saying, so I think you should have added captions.

34. Elizabeth says:

Very interesting topic, well done

35. Bencao says:

I loved the video. It has really great visuals. great work!

36. Lisa says:

Having Buzz explain the concepts was very creative and the video was very informative. However, it would have been nice if there were more visuals showing the content being explained.

37. Kelly says:

The fact that you used Buzz made this video so cute; love it!

38. Kelly says:

This was a really cute video, but diagrams or visuals would have helped! The information was explained well through the voiceover but would have been more thorough with visuals.

39. Marianna says:

Really funny and engaging video! I liked that you used Buzz to explain the concepts, such a great idea.

40. Alianna says:

Your idea was really creative. I think the part where you showed the figures was a little cluttered and hard to read, but you explained the concepts really well

41. Shashwati says:

It was a good explanation, but visuals could’ve been used better, including the graphs.

42. Noah says:

The video is creative and interesting, but the audio felt a bit rushed.

43. Alekhya says:

I think that your use of Buzz as the medium for the information was very creative and funny! The sound quality could have been better however.

44. Jingyi says:

I like how you let buzz explain your topic the infromation and the graph is very easy to understand.

45. James says:

Good job making the video. It was easy to understand, and I found it a bit funny too.

46. Amiel says:

This was a good video! Even though there weren’t that many visual aides, you explained things in a very clear way, so it was easy to understand. Clever inclusion of Buzz as well!

47. James says:

I love how buzz took a prominent role. Excellent dialogue between a student and professor buzz.

48. Sahar says:

Having Buzz in the video was a great idea! The explanation was easy to understand.

49. Seenam says:

This was a really funny video I loved how you guys used buzz

50. Zhubo says:

Great video! I love the idea that you guys illustrate the scientific paper with the help of role playing!

51. William says:

The video was fun and engaging, but I think that if there had been a bit more visuals, it could have helped a bit with the understanding of the material.

52. Christian says:

Different and more creative than most. The style was a nice change of pace.

53. Maxwell says:

Buzz is always good. Spoken well.

54. Pooja says:

Your video was very entertaining, which made it fun to watch and learn from.

55. Tyler says:

The playful use of Buzz in this video keeps the viewer very entertained and does not take away from how informative the video is.

56. Kara says:

I like that the video was themed and therefore reaches out to a larger audience, also the friendliness of having Buzz being the one to explain a complex topic like this makes it more palatable.

57. William says:

The way the video is set up is outstanding. The idea is original and the execution of the idea is perfect. The material is easy to understand and it is a very entertaining video to watch.

58. Bradford says:

Nice inclusion of Buzz. Would’ve loved some more visuals.

59. Christopher says:

Great job relating the paper back to the material from class

60. Gilberto says:

Very good and engaging video. The audio quality wasn’t perfect, but the overall work was great.

61. Andrew says:

The division between explaining by talking to the student in the video versus talking to me was very helpful in understanding the content. I also enjoyed the humor. The background static made it difficult to focus on the words, however.

62. Riley says:

The use of the Buzz puppet was entertaining and kept my attention throughout the video.

63. Anna says:

Very creatively done and funny! Original idea that still helped understand idea!

64. David says:

Buzz will always get me interested in learning! Great job!