Group 34 – Male Guppy Courtship Decisions

Video:

Description:

Here we explore a study conducted by Cole and Endler at Deakin University researching the influence of light environment and female receptivity on male courtship decisions.

By: Alice Robang, Andrew Matson, Jacqueline Baidoo, & Krishna Parikh

Additional References:

A.E. Rasa, C. Vogel, E. Voland (Eds.), The Sociobiology of Sexual and Reproductive Strategies, Chapman and Hall, London (1989), pp. 147–169

Cole, G. L., & Endler, J. A. (2016, September). Male courtship decisions are influenced by light environment and female receptivity. In Proc. R. Soc. B (Vol. 283, No. 1839, p. 20160861)  

Gamble S, Lindholm AK, Endler JA, Brooks R. 2003 Environmental variation and the maintenance of polymorphism: the effect of ambient light spectrum on mating behaviour and sexual selection in guppies. Ecol. Lett. 6, 463– 472. (doi:10.1046/j. 1461-0248.2003.00449.x)

Guppy Male or Female. Digital image. Identifying between a Male and Female. Guppy Aquarium, 27 Dec. 2015. Web. 6 Nov. 2016.

This entry was posted in Light and female receptivity influence male courtship decisions. Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to Group 34 – Male Guppy Courtship Decisions

1. Mavris Sophia says:

I liked how you added interesting background information of the study and scientists. The procedure process was very clear for me to understand too. Perhaps editing the video to increase the volume of the speaker; it is a little difficult to hear him. Overall, great video!

2. Whitehead Jarah says:

I really enjoyed the beginning of your video with the two dogs. That was entertaining and it made me want to keep watching. Nice job!

3. Berry Savannah says:

This video was done very well. It makes sense and is easy for the viewer to understand. Well done!

4. Kern Ryan says:

This is a really interesting video, great idea to keep the viewers interest.

5. Stubbs Isabella says:

The drawings at the beginning were especially cute and a good introduction! The seamless transition of the images and the single narrator minimized visual and audio distractions well. The relation of guppy courtship behavior to that of humans makes the topic more relatable as well. Good job!

6. Barone Cassandra says:

The introduction was creative and engaging. This was a very informative video overall although it was sometimes hard to hear the speaker, but the subtitles help.

7. Elisabet Ruiz-Torres says:

The video was easy to understand and the illustrations and data shown and used helped the viewer to follow the experiments conducted by the researchers. The speaker was clearly understood and the big picture described at the end of the video really explained what implications this experiment had.

8. Nava Eduardo says:

The connection to lab is obvious when you talk about the statistical significance. I love the connections to the course material. It’s really good!

9. Mathur Anmol says:

I enjoyed the video. The analogy with dogs was fascinating.
    The editing was done well and the ideas presented were clear and to the point.

10. Olaniran Peace says:

The visuals were nice and the data given was explained thoroughly and effectively. Background music would have made this video more engaging, but the information given was really interesting so this did not really deter away from the effectiveness of this video. It is also interesting to now realize how much decision goes into male guppy courtships. It was a wonderful video in general.

11. Su Steven says:

Nice video w/ animations. The ‘pictures’ weren’t distracting and fit really well with the content. Figures were really well done (the bar graph was nice and simple and easy to understand).

12. Adithi Anil says:

I loved the visuals and how they were clear and easy to follow along with the audio. The experiment was explained well, covering everything including background information.

13. Murray Hannah says:

I loved this video and experiment! The speech was timed perfectly and very easy to understand. I also really enjoyed all the graphics used in the video. They did go a little over the time limit, but I was actively listening to all the information and thought that all the information mentioned was necessary for the viewer to hear. I also enjoyed all the points you highlighted at the end of the video that explained the significance of the results.

14. Harris Sarah says:

I really liked the video. The audio was clear and you spoke at an even pace. I did want there to be more movement to make the video slightly more entertaining, but with that being said, the video was very good and it was obvious effort was put into it. Great job you guys!

15. Xie Jingwei says:

I really like the combination of the drawings and cutouts! The animation and lists also made the demonstration very interesting and understandable. Great job!

16. Phillips Haley says:

I really enjoyed the visuals used and found the video interesting and entertaining.

17. Blake Daniels says:

Nice commentary, but I might have used more visuals to help convey the information visually as well as orally. The fish models were a nice touch and addressing the “big picture” at the end concluded the video well.

18. Whitt Sabrina says:

The presentation of the material was very interesting and unique. I thought the information was displayed well, but I wish you defined some of the words you had mentioned in your commentary. Overall though, good job!

19. Zibitt Meira says:

This video was really well done and showed clear thought. I liked the dogs at the beginning and the images of the fish used throughout the video. The information was well explained and I liked how you related it to human courtship behavior. Good job!

20. Patel Krishna says:

Some relevant terms were defined, and the video was informative. I liked the connection to the dogs. Overall, great video.

21. Zou Qing says:

This is the most clear and perfect speed audio. I really enjoyed the clarity the video presents.

22. Satapathy Aparajita says:

I really liked how detailed and informative the visuals were in this video. The narrative was clear and easy to follow. Good job!

23. Patel Tilak says:

The words were articulated clearly and at an understandable pace. I also like how the guppy characters were used throughout the video. It added some light-heartedness to the video. The information was clear and easy to understand.

24. Kaparos Efiyenia says:

The video was easy to follow and the visuals accompanied the material being presented.

25. Bentata Benezry says:

Nice job. I really liked and enjoyed the video. I found the material very interesting and the drawings are just great. They really help to understand the topic.

26. Broderick Kirby says:

Quite well-done- I liked how this paper was related to the literature on the field.

27. Fox Abigail says:

This video was very easy to understand, especially with so many ties to topics that we covered in lecture and in lab. The analogy to the dogs was cute and the summary at the end of the video helped tie everything about sexual selection covered in this paper together.

28. Reeves Devon says:

Super cute video! I like the set up and the audio was good. The experiment was clearly explained and the study’s experimental change in water color to determine sexual selection based on colors was fascinating. Cool experiment and great job on the video.

29. Kang Jenifer says:

The illustrations connected well to the information, and made things easier to understand. The audio was well paced and clear. The results were well presented and explained. Great video

30. Li Danny says:

The narration was well paced and easy to follow. The illustrations went very well with the voice over and made it easier to understand the topics being discussed. Overall the video was well done.

31. Watson Kimberly says:

Nice drawings and images. I liked how you used to the fish to show how the fish could actually, potentially interact. Information of topic was clear and easy to follow. Very informative video!

32. Warren Tyler says:

You really broke the material down in a clear way. I liked the simple drawings which gave me an idea of what these fish looked like. You did a good job explaining everything in a very simple way while still making it interesting.

33. Wauldron Natalia says:

This video was very good! I was able to follow along very easily; the speed and volume of the audio and the timing of the pictures was perfect. I was very entertained with the comparison to the dogs. Information was very well organized.

34. Hebert Mason says:

Interesting video! The dogs at the beginning of the video was a good example. And the rest of the video was clear and easy to understand.

35. O'brien-Russell Charlotte says:

The drawings, especially the different colors, were very clear and made the video easy to follow. They brought the video to life. I thought the introduction and conclusion with the dogs made the video interesting and did a good job connecting it to what we are learning in class.

36. Wilson Emma says:

The pictures were super cute and engaging! The audio was clear and easy to understand. Overall, the information was presented in such a way that made it very easy to understand while still being engaging.

37. Kouba Amelie says:

Very cute video guys! Very clear audio – nice! The information was easy to understand in your video and I could understand the speakers perfectly. Well done.

38. Newville Grace says:

This video was very easy to follow along with. Great job explaining the terminology used and the experimental design and what it was aiming to achieve. The figures used were referenced and described adequately which was an important part in actually understand what was found in this study and how it applies to what we’ve learned in class.

39. Lever Alice says:

Very well done video! I liked how you used actual pictures of the fish to show what they actually looked like so it was easier for us to imagine why clear lighting would be the lighting of choice.

40. Smith Jaeiza says:

I feel like the video told all the relevant information in a short and concise way. This was interesting and informative.

41. Higgins Lisa says:

This video was one of the best I have watched so far. It was not because of the fantastic graphics so much as it was for the simplicity of the drawings and how easy the experiment was to understand having looked at them. The information was well organized. Great job!

42. Taylor Sydney says:

I like that you presented the questions you would answer before beginning your explanation of the experiment! That was a good way to relate the information to what we learned in class. Your visuals were really good, and your explanation was clear and easily understood. Great job!

43. Dubey Shresttha says:

The simple drawings and animations made it very easy for me to understand what was going on in the video. The audio is also crisp and clear.

44. Born Adam says:

The methods section was very clearly explained, making the results easier to understand. This was one of the easiest videos to follow along with, and I feel like I have a good understanding of the research. The narration was also a perfect pace and easy to understand.

45. Tordoya Henckell says:

The video was very entertaining, especially the dog drawings at the beginning. It was very easy to understand and follow the concepts with how you explained them.

46. Hoey Maeve says:

Great visuals and creative use of props. The visuals were also very clear and easy to understand. In combination with the audio the video did a great job of presenting the information clearly and making the topics easy to understand.

47. smortley3 says:

Overall, this is a great video and I especially enjoyed the use of color and cute guppy images to present the information in a way that was simple and easy to understand and tying in the research to human behavior made it very interesting! The sound could have been better but did not take away greatly from the video.

48. Cho Ha says:

Everything was very easy to understand with all the visuals and organized explanation. The video was very engaging and clear. I really liked how you explained how this relates to the materials we learned in class. The timing of the audio and video was very good; great job on editing! Overall, I thought this video was very well done.

49. Mahajan Divya says:

The narration was very clear and made understanding of the video very easy.

50. Anderson Eric says:

I don’t exactly understand what a “recent virgin” means. Why are they not just virgins? Otherwise the video is understandable and clear, and the visuals are helpful.

51. Umair Alvi says:

Great video! The speaker was very clear is his delivery and the writing was very specific and informative. The visuals were entertaining but not very neat, which I did not mind that much. Overall, it was a great video.

52. McGlothin Molly says:

They did a good job explaining the experiment in the video. The audio was clear which made it more engaging. The visuals helped in understanding the information.

53. Lin Min says:

I liked the easy and simplistic way the information was presented; it was entertaining to follow and the information given was easy to understand. I also liked the visuals because they made the video more engaging. Great job!

54. Trout Robert says:

The guppy cut-outs/toys were a great idea, it made it easy to follow the voice over. I felt engaged with the information through the whole video, good job!

55. Bonitatibus Rachael says:

I enjoyed how the video related the guppies’ behavior to humans. This video flowed extremely well, making the transitions seem effortless. This has been one of my favorites to watch! good job!

56. Marcos Schwaycer says:

Thanks for sharing your video, I really enjoyed it. The visuals were nice. The language was not super technical yet still accurate. Great job!

57. Warner Chase says:

Altogether, the video was interesting and informative. The visuals were clear and the audio was very easy to understand. One suggestion I have is to connect the topics of the study back to the topics of the class, maybe discussing sexual selection or defining reproductive fitness.

58. Johnston Gregory says:

I liked the way you presented the information – it made the topic easier to understand. I also thought the visuals nicely matched the information in the video.

59. Zachary Karpenko says:

This is very well done and the visuals and voiceover are great and keep the viewer engaged, however the volume could be lowered and the video could be made less jumpy at times.

60. Muthuchamy Tarun says:

Interesting video and cute pictures! Y’all did a great job presenting the information and I could tell y’all were masters in the topic. Overall, I felt like I learned a lot from this video and enjoyed watching it!

61. Forsmo James says:

Very interesting video and study. The whiteboard visuals were very effective, and I especially liked the use of the little guppy plastic toys as models during the video. You guys had very effective use of graphs, and the audio was extremely clear and crisp. Well done.

62. Megan McLaurin says:

Great video guys. The stop and go style worked really well and you got the information across in a simple and easy to understand way. You may have wanted to mention how this connects to the topics in class though.

63. Bullock Kate says:

I enjoyed the hand drawn visuals; I thought that their simple nature was perfect to support to the audio. I also thought the information being provided was very easy to follow. Good job!

64. Jenkins Alexandria says:

This video was entertaining as well as informative. I loved all of the little jokes that kept my attention throughout the video. The graphics and script did a great job presenting the information. Great job!

65. Mary Carolyn Hulgan says:

Great use of visual aids to engage the viewer and clarify the information. It could have been better connected to topics covered in class, but was otherwise very well made and enjoyable to watch.

66. Irondi Ogechi says:

The animations and visuals helped convey the message a great deal. Very nicely put. Great job.

67. Sommer Elias says:

I really appreciated the visuals in this video. They correlated well with what was being narrated and helped connect each idea to the one before.

68. Ali Shan says:

The video could have mentioned how the topics were connected to the concepts we learned in class. However, the video was quite interesting and well put together with great visuals and audio! Great work!

69. Reymond Brian says:

I really enjoyed the video presentation, especially the introduction. The intro was very interesting and very unique. The speaker had a very nice pace and clear volume which helped me follow the video and understand the presentation a lot better. Good job!

70. Turner Emma says:

Interesting and informative way to cover the topic, however was not tied in much to topic learned in the class although that seems to be challenging on this topic.

71. Grant says:

I liked the questions at the beginning. It was a great way to introduce the topic and prepare the viewer for the rest of the video. The visuals were also great. I liked the use of the white board combined with the paper cutouts. Nice video. Great job.

72. Dunford Eden says:

I really loved the visuals and the clear relationship between them and the audio. The video had good flow. I also liked the way you discussed the results with the statistics and made that clear to understand. The only thing that could have been improved was clarity of the speaking although the subtitles helped. Good job!

73. Wah Katie says:

The video was very good.My video was on the same topic, and I found it particularly interesting to analyze what we did differently and similarly. And I have to admit that I really enjoyed this video. Specifically, I really enjoyed the speaker because he made the information understandable and spoke in a very clear distinct fashion that made understanding him seem effortless. At times, I thought the visuals of the video were messy but it wasn’t ever really enough to distract me from the information that was being presented.

74. Vezeau Alexandra says:

This video was really easy to follow. The images and drawings were good and the narration was very clear. I thought it was one of the best videos I have watched so far. Great job!

75. Kenya Jones says:

Really good job with the explicit audio and overall good job on telling the information.

76. Eling Taylor says:

This video was very good! The narration was very easy to understand and the visuals went along with it well.

77. Jackson Kierston says:

Your dog drawings were so cute. Great job at linking your graphics to what you were speaking about. This made it easier to follow along with your information. Information was also explained in great detail and the audio was clear!

78. Jehle John says:

The topic was very interesting, but the just watching pictures for that long got a little boring. I wish you could have videoed yourself drawing the pictures so the viewer can have something to watch. On the other hand, the video was very informative and it seemed as if you definitely had an understanding of your article.

79. Svitak Ethan says:

The visuals were true to the concept being discussed; however, they were mostly bland despite a good visual for a guppy. The audio was clear and followed the visuals well.

80. Park Cassie says:

The visuals were appealing and helped the listener understand the experiment better. There was plenty of opportunity to use what we learned over the semester and you used that well. The speaker was very clear and easy to understand. The content was very thorough and easy to understand, with logical sequence. Great job.

81. Polik Hayriye says:

Interesting and fun video to watch. The visuals greatly helped portray the information.

82. Tokos Margaret says:

Very solid. I like that they kept it to one narrator he did a great job. The video was steady and very logical making it very cohesive and left me with a clear understanding of this research on animal behavior

83. Moore Collin says:

You did a really good job illustrating how the experiment was designed and connecting it to larger issues of mating.

84. Vagott Jacob says:

The visuals were very good, and the audio was not bad. Very good video, I found it very informative and it was well organized.

85. Durrah Mirage says:

I liked the drawings in the intro, they were very cute & caught my interest. Informative video. The visuals were an interesting way of displaying the experiment.