Group 18 – Exploring the Phylogenetic Roots of Lethal Violence in Humans

References:

1. Jose-Maria Gomez, Miguel Verdu, Adela Gonzalez-Megias, Marcos Mendez. 2016. The phylogenetic roots of human lethal violence. Nature 538: 233-237 doi:10.1038/nature19758
  2. Raymond C. Kelly. 2005. The evolution of lethal intergroup violence. PNAS volume 102 issue 43: 15294-15298.
  3. Jung Choi. What is evolution? http://bio1510.biology.gatech.edu/module-1-evolution/what-is-life/
This entry was posted in Phlogenetic roots of human lethal violence. Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Group 18 – Exploring the Phylogenetic Roots of Lethal Violence in Humans

1. Black Natalie says:

I enjoyed the group acting like researchers and the span across Tech Green. Very entertaining “one death later.” All of the aspects of the video contributed to the argument of the research topic and helped me understand the issue through acting out and illustrations. Wow. Just love the acting. Nice depictions. Good video. Congrats. Clear connections to the course topics.

2. Mavris Sophia says:

I really like how your video included actual footage instead of the average drawings. One thing to note, it is a little difficult to understand the speaker (volume too low compared to the music volume). I like how your figures are made within the video instead of just posting a still. Nice!

3. Whitehead Jarah says:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video! I like how it had real footage of Tech’s campus and of you guys in lab coats. I also liked the music in the background. Nice job!

4. Berry Savannah says:

Not always a clear connection between what the video is showing and what is being said. Music is good, and the video is overall good.

5. Kern Ryan says:

This Study does not take into account that people are always inventing new and better ways to kill people, so the energy needed for lethal violence has dropped like a rock.

6. Stubbs Isabella says:

The addition of views of Georgia Tech and examples of humans fighting was a nice touch and made the topic seem more relevant. Because of the lighting, it was hard to see what was being written on the whiteboard in certain scenes (if its purpose was to see it). The consistency of the narrator and mild music was good too as the steady audio kept my focus.

7. Calhoun Ciandra says:

I really enjoyed this video; it was unique and was not like any other video that I watched. First off, I enjoyed that a background music track looped throughout the entire video. Not only that, but I enjoyed the live video of Tech Green and its human inhabitants, actual acting by group members, and the clear voiceover. Having entertaining visuals and aspects to draw connections with, made retaining the information presented easier.

8. Elisabet Ruiz-Torres says:

The background music was pleasant and did not distract from the speaker. The panoramic video across Tech Green was also really cool. The illustrations used made sense and were simple to understand. The acting made the video entertaining to watch and helped to keep me interested in the information.

9. Nava Eduardo says:

This video was actually so dope! The study was really cool and perfectly explained with great acting and a good tone was created by the upbeat music. I loved it

10. Andrew Matson says:

I loved the acting and the video of students on Tech Green. Made the video very entertaining, and the connections to evolution were very clear. Great video, and very interesting!

11. Adithi Anil says:

The video was a little difficult to follow due to the low volume for voice and high volume for music, which was a little distracting. While some of the scenes were amusing to keep in the video, I’m not sure if they were all relevant to explaining the experiment.

12. Kyzer Amelia says:

very entertaining way to explain the project. way to go outside of the box and combine drawings and actual footage. good job and good take on explaining the project.

13. Murray Hannah says:

Overall I really enjoyed this video! I loved how Tech’s own campus was incorporated as this helps me understand how this topic can relate to me. However, the background music was a little loud at times and made it difficult for me to understand the person that was speaking.

14. Bakare Oladipo says:

As casual as the video was, it was unique and interesting to watch. The narration was accompanied by appropriate demonstration that helped to understand the topic being discussed.

15. Xie Jingwei says:

I really like how you guys acted some concepts out and shot scenes from the campus! The background music could be a little quieter to make the voiceover clearer. Overall easy to understand and fun!

16. Robang Alicia says:

Music was distracting, and the transitions in audio clips were also something that could’ve been improved. However, the acting was really good! Figures made were easy to understand and relevant. The study was discussed really well and the significance of the study was also well explained.

17. Phillips Haley says:

I thought this video and the topic itself was very interesting. I think the topic was related well to things we have learned about in class and enjoyed the use of live video of people in the beginning of the video.

18. Broderick Kirby says:

The visuals were great, and funny, and the background music was interesting. Enunciation wasn’t the best though.

19. Patel Krishna says:

The background music needed to be a little lower sometimes it was hard to hear the voice audio. The “one death later” part was funny and cute. Also, I like the scenes of tech green, and you guys wearing lab coats. Overall, the video was great, entertaining, and informative! Nice job!

20. Zou Qing says:

It is unique and interesting. I live the idea that as a group to research on campus. However, the audio has noise sometimes and it can be adjusted. Overall, it is a really good video!

21. Satapathy Aparajita says:

I liked how this video incorporated scenes around campus and related it back to the study. The narrative was a bit unclear at certain places, but overall good job!

22. Patel Tilak says:

Awesome video. Very engaging and funny. The light-heartedness made the video more interesting. The information was clear and concise and the video was put together well. Good job!

23. Kaparos Efiyenia says:

I really enjoyed how this group took a different approach in creating their video. The content was well explained, but it was hard to hear the speaker at times.

24. Aldrete Carlos says:

I was actually happy when I found this video. It stood out from all of the whiteboard videos everyone else did. The music and casual feel to this video added a lot to the simple learning aesthetic. Great job.

25. Delgrego Megan says:

I really like how the group had actors to demonstrate the topics they described. The visuals and the redrawings of the groups were effective and the topic was clearly described. I wish the audio of the speaker was a little louder at times, but otherwise great video.

26. White Samantha says:

This group had a really strong opener with the scenes from GT campus making it very entertaining to watch. However, some scenes didn’t seem to match with the voiceover, but other than that great job.

27. Bhakhri Arohi says:

This video was really fun to watch and I like the format in which the information from your research paper was presented. Super well done and watchable video. I would make the music ever so slightly quieter to make the voice over the main focus. Overall a really good video and I learned a lot.

28. Carroll Resa says:

What an entertaining yet informative way to show the information found in the original article. I think y’all did a great job organizing the video, and acting out parts relevant to the narration. The background music helped everything to flow well, and the incorporation of Tech’s campus was a nice touch. Overall, a very informative video!

29. Kang Jenifer says:

The video was entertaining and easy to watch. The audio was hard to hear at times because the music was too loud. I liked how the video included clips of Tech. The information was clearly showed with examples in the video. The connection was not always clear. Overall great video.

30. mcw0805 says:

I really enjoyed the video! You guys definitely did a good job with the humor and acting out. In the beginning though, what was written on the board was quite blurry.

31. Newville Grace says:

The first few minutes were extremely boring. I did not think the video showing Tech green at the beginning was relevant and made it hard to pay attention to the person speaking which was already fairly hard to hear. The video contained good information, but this information was not portrayed well in the visual aspects of this video at all. The real time drawing of the figures was good though.

32. Warren Tyler says:

Good video! I liked using footage of people for a summary of a paper that is about human interactions. The graphs were good, but maybe some more visuals would help drive your point all the way home. The audio was a little hard to hear at parts. You made a good connection to course material when talking about evolution.

33. Punyarthi Sayali says:

Using Tech’s campus and different shots definitely made the video more appealing and helped student focus on the topic.

34. Muenchen Alexandrea says:

I really liked this video because it was so unique compared to the rest of the ones I’ve watched. Having footage of Tech made it seem professional, but it was hard to follow what you were saying sometimes since we didn’t have a visual of it. The music was a good addition, but was louder than the narrator which was distracting. Overall, good job.

35. Watson Kimberly says:

First off, the music is a really fun tune and sets the video up nicely. I really like that at the beginning of your video you introduced your topic by showing humans interacting. All your figures were very informative and described the information being shared well.

36. Hebert Mason says:

Very funny to watch the people at the beginning of the video! However, the narrators voice was often drowned out by the music, but the video was very informative.

37. O'brien-Russell Charlotte says:

Sometimes it was hard to follow the video as there were no words, only narrative. The music was good but sometimes drowned out the narrators voice. However, the video was very entertaining and was very humorous at times. The graphs clearly showed the results of the experiment which was good.

38. Reeves Olivia says:

This video was pretty interesting and definitely unique, but it was extremely hard to hear the narrator at times and sometimes the video didn’t match the audio at all – it might have been good to add some diagrams or drawings at some times.

39. Wilson Emma says:

I really enjoyed the video! It was very entertaining how everyone was acting like researchers at Tech. It also gave good background information and was very easy to understand. Awesome job!

40. Lever Alice says:

This was a very well made video! The concept of using real people and tech’s campus was very unique and I liked how the way you presented the study referenced things learned in the evolution module.

41. Smith Jaeiza says:

I thought that using raw footage was a great idea. I think that your charts were very informative in explaining the concepts of the paper. I only wish that your volume was a little louder than the background music.

42. Higgins Lisa says:

This video was engaging and I enjoyed the use of actual people in this video rather than drawings or pictures. I felt as though some of the visuals did not match the audio (at the 1 minute mark). The audio could have been slightly louder but overall great video and I enjoyed how you brought Tech into the video as well!

43. Vear Isabella says:

This video was fantastic! I like the footage vs drawn illustrations it was different than most I’ve seen and the topic itself was super intriguing. The audio was very good and It made all of the information very clear to the listener. Overall Fantastic job! ( i thought the small acting bits over food and what not were really funny)

44. Megan says:

While I really liked the music in the background, it should have been a little quieter so the voiceover was more easily understood. Your group did a nice job of explaining the study in terms that could be understood, but a little more detail on how the study was conducted may have been helpful to establish more credibility and go into greater detail as far as the actual science behind it. I liked the humor that was incorporated throughout (the banana scene especially), but at times the “actors” in your group were clearly laughing or looking at the camera. It could have been a little more convincing, but for the scope of this assignment, it really didn’t detract much.

45. Bresch Troy says:

It was really cool to see the video be more interactive than the other ones. The actors in this video were pretty good and still managed to give in-depth information on their topic. The background music was nice, and there were some funny jokes in the video as well.

46. Stratton Lauren says:

I really enjoyed this video! The beginning view of humans outside was a very good start, and then it got a little boring in the middle but then super interesting again. The information was displayed very well, and it was explained well with definitions. I liked the background music, but it also could have used some change instead of the same repetitive tune.

47. Mihalko Robert says:

I found that the visuals in the video did not always go well with the audio. The visuals were very engaging and interesting, but the narration appeared very monotone and softer than the background music sometimes.

48. Bhayana Shivika says:

I like the acting but I don’t know if it is relevant to your topic. The visuals on the whiteboard were hard to see sometimes. The topic is interesting though and you all explained it well!

49. Cho Ha says:

I enjoyed watching the video! I think it was interesting and informational. The background information you presented was really helpful in understanding what the research was about, and overall it was well-made and fun to watch!

50. Courtney Queen says:

The video was enjoyable and especially unique because it included actual footage instead of drawings. The visuals didn’t always fit just right with the audio, but the topic was interesting and the group did a nice job of explaining it.

51. McGlothin Molly says:

The video was engaging along with the material. In addition, adding the footage of campus scenes kept my attention. The audio did force me to listen closer to hear.

52. Trout Robert says:

I loved seeing everyone in the group in the video! It shows great cooperation. The way you guys presented the information was great for the topic too.

53. Leal Antonio says:

The music was very well chosen and the images used complemented the the script very well. Using campus life to portray humans as the object of the study was very creative. The sound quality along with the images made the video easy to understand.

54. Kayastha Ayush says:

I liked that the video presented information over actual footage of the group doing work and doing things that visualized the information. The use of actual footage of humans going about in their daily life was clever since this video was meant to talk about the violence in humans. The music in the background kept everything nice and upbeat even though the topic was over violence.

55. Bonitatibus Rachael says:

Wow the acting in this video is fantastic! This group did a great job in presenting the information in an engaging and new way. You can tell you all spent a great amount of time on this project. Amazing job!

56. Marcos Schwaycer says:

I loved that I could relate to this video because of the recordings of Tech’s campus. Overall it was very good. Great use of visuals and language.

57. Stawara Lilla says:

I loved this video! The videos of the students on tech green were super unique and fit in perfectly with your topic. You explained it well and in a very creative way. The video was very interesting!

58. Muthuchamy Tarun says:

Loved the video! It was a great mixture of humor and explaining your topic. I liked that y’all did a live-action video and I think I learned a lot from watching your video. Although at some times it was hard to hear you speak, I still think y’all did an amazing job!

59. Forsmo James says:

The music is a bit too loud and distracting at the beginning, which makes it hard to understand what the speaker is saying. There are parts where I cannot hear the speaker at all. The camerawork, where you’re recording students on Tech Green, is quite interesting and helps with the presentation. The use of drawn graphs was also compelling.

60. Patel Parth says:

I liked this video but I found the beginning of the video to be a little too formal and excessive. I found the video as a whole clear and understandable. You guys took a confusing concept and made it easy to follow. The audio and video were both clear. Great job.

61. Sommer Elias says:

I really liked the scenes in the video. I found them very engaging and funny. I also appreciated the happy music and calm tone in narrating a study about lethal violence.

62. Jenkins Alexandria says:

This video was very interesting. I enjoyed the acting in the video and the speaker was very clear and understandable throughout the video. I loved all of the shots of campus as well. The video did a great job of simplifying a very complex topic. Great job!

63. Irondi Ogechi says:

I appreciate and enjoy the unorthodox approach in presenting their information. The music was a plus. It was a bit difficult hearing some of the voices, however the video still deserves a gold star. Good job.

64. Voravong Katlyn says:

I really enjoyed the little skits. It was smart to use actual people instead of an animation. The pace of the video was very good too.

65. Ortega Michelle says:

I wish you guys would have used video clips in the beginning and end of the videos that really depicted what you were speaking about (not that our campus isn’t beautiful), but I just didn’t think they were entirely relevant. I did think that the skits in between though really allowed the audience to make the connections between the experiment and reality. Music was a little louder than the speaker, but overall it was an entertaining and educational video!

66. Turner Emma says:

The way you used Tech’s campus as your set was creative and kept my attention! The information covered and how you covered it was informative and easy to follow, however the audio was a little quiet.

67. Phillips Matthew says:

I enjoyed seeing your group perform during the video ,and I enjoyed seeing the topic displayed at Tech. I thought your information was very good ,and I thought your group very hard on the video. The audio volume was different at times ,but that was just a minor error. Overall, a job well done.

68. Grant says:

You included lots of great information and the topic was explained well. I also enjoyed the acting, it made the video entertaining to watch. Nice video. Awesome job.

69. Brockman Christine says:

Very interesting video! I liked the different approach that was taken to the visuals in your video. In one of the scenes, it was hard to see what was being written on the board due to distance from the camera. Overall, great job!

70. Kenya Jones says:

I really enjoyed this video. The humor that was incorporated into it was very entertaining and engaged me, and the information was very informative and clear to follow.

71. Vagott Jacob says:

As the only video I have watched that had humor in it, it was definitely more entertaining to watch. Good job conveying the topic in an engaging way!

72. Popovici David says:

Really good skits. This video was the most unique. I also enjoyed the music. 🙂

73. Bondarev Dmitry says:

The acting is great, yet some of the visuals do not reflect the content of the video.